Clasues Vs Phrases



Objective: To understand the difference between clauses and phrases.


The material shows the differences between them in an easy and understanble way. Also it has an intuitive interface so is easier to navigate on it.

I remember when I was introduced to the meanings clauses and phrases I could not find any difference, it was pretty difficult for me. But don't have to worry about that these post will help you and do it easier for you.


I found this interesting and complete material where there is not only an explanation of the differences but there are a wide variety of exapmles. To go and see the material just click here.

At first I though that the only difference was that the phrases do not have a subject doing a verb.

Example:
  • broken into thousands of pieces.

But that is not the only difference:


  • A clause it's a collection of words where the subject is actively doing a verb.
  • A clause can stand by itself, if so, it is called independent clause
  • Also independent clauses have a subject doing a verb but they have a subordinate conjunction placed in front of the clause.

Comentarios

  1. Hello, Elio. I really liked your explanation, at first I didn't get the meaning of "the subject doing a verb", but then when I kept reading I could understand it . As for I understood, we can call a group of words a sentence when it has a subject and a verb, but this verb has to be an action done by its subject. And phrases just have a subject and any kind of verb which is not being done by the subject. Thanks a lot for the web page, I kept reading it for a while. I have a little question: Are clauses and sentences the same?

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Hello there.
    I like the information that you have shared, it is really interesting because as you told before for me was difficult comprehend the difference between phrase and noun too, but now I already know it, and also I liked your post because in the example of clauses it specified subject, predicate in each example and it makes easier to understand, but let me tell you that your post has help me a lot to reinforced my knowledge about phrase and clauses know is easier to me I just have a question: it is possible to call subordinate clause to the dependent clause?.
    Thanks Elio.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Hello Elio :)
    I really like your post, very nice information and thank to you the doubts that I had are so clears now <3
    But, just a question: Does the dependent clause goes along with the subordinate conjunction?

    ResponderBorrar
  4. Hi Elio
    I enjoyd your post because it has many support material about the topic, your post has help me to understand the difference between clauses and phrases. had been a little bit difficult because there are pretty similar each of them, but the examples also helped to didentify if I had already understand the topic.
    Thank you...:)

    ResponderBorrar
  5. I like your post because the explanation you post have more information than the book had and also is easy to understand, it has examples and for me the information is complete.
    I didn’t remember this topic well and this help me a lot and you also solved me a doubt I had about the “Independent clauses” 😄

    Thanks for the information! 😺

    ResponderBorrar
  6. Hi Elio ... good versus XD in a very simple and understandable way to notice the difference between Clauses and Phrases, your examples make us clear about their use and how to apply them. tnks again ..

    ResponderBorrar
  7. Excellent information Elio, it's pretty complete, actually I used to have the same problem because I couldn't spot them at first sight but now I know that phrases do not have a subject. Thanks for the explanation.

    ResponderBorrar
  8. Hi Elio! I read the informacion you posted and I liked because sometimes I might get confused with phrases or clauses but know I know that phrases don't have an action verb or a finite verb. They use a non finite verbs (gerunds, infinitives, participles) or in some cases they dont use any verb. But a clause yes! They show an action and they have subject and a finite verb and if it is an independent clause they also have a subordinate clause. Thanks to clarify some doubts I had regarding this topic!

    ResponderBorrar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas más populares de este blog

Stative Passive

Prepositions of Place